People considering divorce need to find a lawyer that can handle their specific situation and help them reach their goals. For most people, getting a divorce is a complicated and emotional process. The right attorney can help make the divorce faster and less emotionally taxing.
What Steps Should a Person Take to Find the Right Divorce Lawyer?
People may find no shortage of options when they begin searching for a divorce lawyer. However, each lawyer has his or her area of expertise and way of handling cases. People need to carefully review their options to ensure they choose an attorney with the necessary experience to handle their situation. For the best chances of finding the right lawyer, people should:
- Know what they want. Each person has individual needs when it comes to a divorce. Some couples have children and need an attorney with family law experience. Other people may have complicated financial issues and need an attorney with more financial experience.
- Set realistic goals. While emotions are running high, people might feel tempted to try and leave their ex with nothing. However, they must understand that custody and division of assets are likely to be much more balanced. When people are more realistic about what they expect from a divorce, it is easier to find the right lawyer.
- Consult at least three attorneys. After narrowing down their options, people should meet with a few lawyers to get a feel for which one is the best fit. Divorce is difficult for everyone involved, and people should make sure they are comfortable with the person responsible for the legal aspects of the dissolution of their marriage.
- Research the lawyers. Prospective clients can ask lawyers for referrals from peers and former clients. They should also investigate the lawyer’s website and areas of expertise.
- Listen for red flags. While people are interviewing, they should listen for any clues that the lawyer is misrepresenting his or her qualifications. Further, if the attorney is condescending or dismissive, he or she might not be the right choice.
What Questions Should a Person Ask When Interviewing a Lawyer?
People should ask potential lawyers questions that give them the information they need to know to make the right decision about whom to hire. They should ask about experience with divorce cases, rates and fees for service, and the estimated time to conclude their divorce. Research and interviews should give a person considering a divorce enough information to pick a lawyer.